Chapel Hermitage Paul Jaboulet Aîné


Built on the site of the Roman tempel of Hercules. A legend tells that a knight settled his hermitage next to this chapel and that he was the first who planted vines and produced wine there. It belongs today to the winehouse Paul Jaboulet Aîné. Mentionned for the 1st time in a manuscript dated from 1100. It was a priory chapel attached to Saint-André-le-Bas of Vienna. Hermits used the site between the 16th to the 18th century, and therefore their name was given to the really famous cru produced on the hill today: Hermitage. It was ruins and was rebuilt in 1861. The Jaboulet Family bought the chapel in 1919 and restored it in 1980.



Throughout the year : open daily.


Grouped tour

Unguided group tours available permanently

Individual tour

Unguided individual tours available permanently


Languages spoken

  • English
  • French


  •   Parking
  •   Pets welcome
  •   Booking obligatory
  •   Not open to the public


During the Summer, Paul Jaboulet Winehouse organizes an ephemeral bar at the Chapel: a wonderful place where to taste its famous wines while seating among the vineyard with a magnificient view on the Rhône Valley! By reservation.

Interactive map

 Access by car with the "Route des Belvédères, parking area of the Belvédère Pierre Aiguille, 5 min. walkingAccess by hiking paths starting from Tain l'Hermitage or Crozes Hermitage - information at the tourist office

See also